Wednesday 21 December 2016

Watercolor Resist Cards

Sharing a couple of cards I made using the watercolor resist technique - something I have been wanting to try for sometime now.


The technique involves creating a kind of a surface using anything that basically resists color. For my cards I used heat embossing as the technique to resist the watercolors.

I made two contrasting CAS cards - one for a birthday party related theme and the other a bit more on the elegant side to say a simple 'Thanks'.

Card 1 - Celebration Card


For this card I used the Birthday Bash stamp set from Paper Smooches. I heat embossed the balloons and the sentiment on Watercolor paper from Canson - the balloons in white and the sentiment in silver. These elements would work as the resist for my technique. I also stamped a cake from the same stamp set using Ranger Jet Black Archival Ink.

I used Zig Clean Color Real Pens to be my watercolor medium. First I applied water with a brush all across the paper. I applied some Blue Zig on to a clear acrylic block and used a brush to apply the color on the entire panel. The embossed parts resisted the color. I also avoided coloring inside the cake. Once I got some color for the background I proceeded to color inside the balloons in a similar manner blending a few colors from the acrylic block. I then colored the cake. I felt the background needed more color so I added more color around the balloons till I got the desired look.
The colors used are Cobalt Blue, Blue and Carmine Red.




I felt the balloons looked bare without the strings. I wanted a bit more of silver on my card as well so I used the Clear Emboss It pen from Ranger to draw strings and then heat embossed them in silver. I finished the card by adding some white dots on the balloons and the cake using white Sakura Gelly Roll pen.



I am entering this card in the following challenges.





Card 2 - Thank You card



I made this card the exact same way as the previous one. What is different are the stamps and the colors used. The flowers are from the Flower Garden stamp set by Tim Holtz from Stampers Anonymous. The Zig colors used are Pink, Carmine Red, Orange and Yellow.


I adhered the finished panel on to a card base and added a handwritten Thank You sentiment. I splattered drops of pink color around the sentiment to finish off the card.


I am entering this in the following challenges




Supplies for both Cards
  • Birthday Bash stamp set by Paper Smooches - Card 1
  • Tim Holtz Flower Garden by Stampers Anonymous - Card 2
  • Canson Watercolor Paper
  • Zig Clean Color Real Brush Pens
  • Versamark Watermark pad
  • Ranger White and Silver Embossing Powder
  • Ranger Heat It Tool
  • Sakura Gelly Roll Pen - white
  • Sakura Micron Pen - black
  • Ranger Jet Black Archival Ink pad
  • Ranger Clear Emboss It pen

25 comments:

  1. Great use of silver embossing to outline your balloons. Love your colours too! Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are really awesome Manisha. Great job using the resist technique. Love the mix of colours of those beautiful watercoloured balloons. And so sweet with the birthday cake. Your flowers are gorgeous ... great mix of colours. Thanks for sharing both cards at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards and great use of techniques you have used on them ...you have been busy!and love how you managed to incorporate the various challenges into them .Thank you for joining in over at Muse this week x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chitra! Its heading your way on Feb 17th :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. you rocked the technique and love how you added sparkle. I can see how the background colour of Jenni's card inspired you at Muse x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these are wonderful watercolor resist samples, Manisha! Love the balloons and cake with all the fine details! And the flowers are gorgeous! Beautiful shades of pink! Thanks so much for sharing these with us at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cards and a wonderful technique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those shiny balloons, but those peonies are really breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. pretty cards....

    Thanks for playing along with the CAS Watercolour Challenge. Hope you come and play again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of these cards are wonderful, Manisha! I love the playful balloons and the sweet, soft flowers. Thanks for playing along with this CAS(E) this Sketch challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both your cards are beautiful! love this technique! Thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! Barbara

    ReplyDelete